4 Easy Steps To Become A Member

Membership has its rewards. Large wide-open flying space, plenty of pit room for even the biggest aircraft, a club house, bathroom facilities, and ample parking space – what’s not to love?

Download 2018 Membership Application (PDF)

Download 2018 Membership Application (MS Word)

STEP 1: Become an AMA member

You must be an active member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). You are required to give us your AMA number in order to apply. It’s quick and easy online at the AMA.

 STEP 2: Register with the FAA

Since we are located close to the nations capitol and within the SFRA, it’s important that all of our members register with the FAA and understand how we operate in the nations airspace. Registration is $5 and your aircraft I.D. number is valid for 3 years. You can register with the FAA on their website at https://registermyuas.faa.gov/. NOTE: People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties.

STEP 3: Fill out the form

Print and fill out the information required for the Free State Aeromodelers membership application.

STEP 4: Mail the form

Before mailing in the application be sure you have included a check for the proper amount and also a photocopy of your AMA membership I.D. Mail the application to the following address: Free State Aeromodelers C/O Membership Secretary, 3509 Blue Hill Drive, Ellicott City, MD 21042

Please note that it may take up to 2 weeks to process your membership. If you have questions or want to know where your application is at in the process please contact us.


Common Questions

“Why do I have to be a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics?”

The AMA provides our club members the insurance needed to fly at our field. This insurance protects the club, its members, and most of all you. But it’s just not an insurance policy, it’s an open invitation to events all across the U.S. and to resources the AMA provides its members. Check out some of the AMA resources. Oh yeah, AMA membership applications can be found at many local local hobby stores or you can apply online at the AMA web site.

“Do you allow drones and first person view (FPV) flight at Free State?”

Yes, we have several members who fly drones and FPV at our location. An important note is that we ask our pilots who fly FPV adhere to the AMA’s operational requirements for the safety of you and all of our members and guests.

“I have an AMA Park Pilot Program membership. Can I use that to join Free State Aeromodelers?”

Absolutely! But please keep in mind that Park Pilot membership allows you to only fly aircraft that are considered park sized at our field (2 pounds, 60 mph max speed, no internal combustion engine). So once you exceed any Park Pilot limitations (e.g., you want to fly a glow powered aircraft) you must become an AMA Full (Open) Member. For more details visit the AMA website’s Membership Options page.